Has your child been screened for kindergarten? Early Childhood Screening is a free developmental check-up required by the State of Minnesota for all preschool-aged children planning to attend public school.
- Last approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Are best completed between the ages of 3 1/2 and 4.
- Check your child's height, weight, hearing, vision and immunization record, coordination, large and small motor skills, speech, learning development and social and emotional skills.
- Involve playful activities that make it an enjoyable experience for your child, while providing valuable information to the screener.
- Are not tests. Screening simply helps identify any needs that may require attention before your child enters school.
- Produce immediate results. Your screener will discuss the results with you right after the appointment and answer any of your questions
Schedule a screening appointment by downloading the appropriate forms here. Return completed forms to Early Childhood Screening, 4584 Vine Hill Road, Excelsior 55331 or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once we have received your forms, you will receive a confirmation of your appointment by mail.
Prior to your child’s appointment, please gather the following three documents:
- A certified and non-certified copy of your child’s birth certificate or passport.
You will be asked to show a certified (one with an embossed seal) copy of your child’s birth certificate and leave a non-certified copy with the screener for District records. Your Screening cannot be completed without these documents and you will be asked to reschedule if you do not have them with you on the day of your child's screening.
If your child was born in Minnesota, obtain an official birth certificate by visiting the Ridgedale Service Center at 12601 Ridgedale Drive. You can also go online to www.hennepin.us or call 612-348-8240 for more information.
If your child was not born in Minnesota, visit www.vitalchek.com to obtain a birth certificate.
- Your child’s updated immunization record.
If you do not have your child’s immunization record, please contact your clinic and ask them to send us a copy before the appointment.